Monday, July 10, 2006

The World Is Our Oyster

"What is the opposite of groovy, mom?" asked my five year-old son, Joseph. I thought a moment. "Gauche" was my reply. Hence my new classification for just about everything was born. Forget hip and unhip, cool and uncool. Life is now groovy or gauche.

My bi-weekly post will include the grooviest and gauchest things I can think of that happen to me in my gig as a mom/CEO. Let's share, shall we? Tell me your groovy and gauche and we'll shindig-it together. The world is our oyster, baby.

GROOVY: The Family Groove, of course! My partner, Jillian, and I have created the hippest parenting mag on the planet! I used to spend $4 on parenting magazines, breeze through them (because who has time to read magazines from cover to cover?) and then throw them away. We created The Family Groove online because it's free and, as a busy mom, I would often consult the internet for baby advice or to find some great deals on ebay. Why not check out a groovy magazine while you're surfin' in cyberspace?

GAUCHE: The mean elephants in the movie Dumbo. Over the weekend, my mom brought over this Disney classic for my two boys (Joseph 5 and Brendan 3). I didn't remember how cruel those adult pachyderms were to little Dumbo! "Pretend you don't see him" said one of the elephants after Mrs. Jumbo was taken away. Dumbo was just wandering around with tears in his eyes looking for companionship. Alas, Dumbo triumphs in the end but, as a mother, any meanness to little ones is hard to watch.

'Til next time, stay groovy!

1 comment:

SLC said...

Hello Groovy Amy & Jillian,
As a full-time (& then some) working mom of an almost 4 year old and almost 2 year old, I look forward to your posts.