Sunday, November 26, 2006

Three Gifts. That's It.

I've done something radical: I only get my kids three gifts each for Christmas.

No masses of gifts at my house. No outdoing the Joneses. Just three each. And a stocking full of books.

"Why?" my friend (who shall remain nameless) asked me last year (mind you, she got her four-year-old daughter 30 gifts one year!). Well, because three gifts is what Christ got.

In an age where it is almost inappropriate to wish others a 'Merry Christmas', I feel it is very important as a parent to attach significance and tradition to the holidays. Christmas is simply not about my boys getting stuff. I don't want them to grow up thinking that the holiday revolves around them. Charity, peace and love is what I want to teach my boys about Christmas. After all, those are the three greatest gifts of all.

No comments: