Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fried 'Balls

Another one of my friend's relationships bit the dust.

Alas, I am on my way over to her pad tonight to console her with my groovy tomato sauce and turkey 'balls (see previous post).

I picked up the best trick for frying 'balls from my friend, Dina's, mother. Usually, I'd bake the 'balls but Dina said her mother fries them in a nonstick pan with olive oil and an onion (cut in half and peeled). The trick is to turn the onion as you turn the 'balls so nothing burns. The onion flavors the 'balls so nicely that this is my new way of cooking them!

Since this is not the healthiest way to cook 'balls - what the heck - I went gangbusters and fattened up the 'balls themselves. Instead of adding water, I added milk instead. Liquids make the 'balls soft and, ladies, there's nothing worse than hard 'balls (I know, counter intuitive).

Here's my recipe:

Gangbuster Groovy 'Balls

1 package turkey meat (93% lean)
1 cup Progresso flavored breadcrumbs
1 cup grated cheese (I use a freshly grated combination of parmagiano reggiano and locatelli romano)
1 egg
salt
pepper
finely chopped parsley, optional
1 cup whole (yes, whole) milk

Mix all ingredients very well together. Form into 'balls and fry in a nonstick pan with a coating of olive oil and an onion which has been peeled and sliced in half.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love to taste the balls. I'm sure they're 'de-lish'. I can say that since I'm from the Southern Part of the State. Thanks for the recipe. I'll make sure the balls are always soft! :)