Thursday, June 26, 2008

Groovy Grains

I just realized that I didn't eat much today. I was super busy with the launch of THE FAMILY GROOVE's July issue - it's so fabulous that my phone was literally ringing off the hook. Check it out at www.thefamilygroove.com.

Although it's almost 10:30 at night, I am going to make a big ol' bow of Groovy Grains. In my kitchen, there's a HUGE jar filled with organic brown rice, millet, barley and farro (an Italian whole grain). I buy it in bulk at the Whole Foods, equal quantities, and it is delicious, cheap, and very versatile.

Mix all of your grains in the jar and when you're in the mood, grab a measuring cup and use 1 cup grains to every 2 cups liquid. Put it on the stove, bring it to a boil and then simmer until done.

For lunch or dinner I use chicken or vegetable broth and it yields a wonderful side dish to go with fish or chicken (I am sure it goes well with beef and pork, but I rarely eat either).

For breakfast, I use water and then add some chopped dried fruits like prunes, raisins and apricots with a little cinnamon. My little guy likes it with chopped apple and toasted almonds. YUM!

Eat Groovy Grains and you will have more energy than you know what to do with!

No comments: