Sunday, June 22, 2008

Responsibility

Yesterday I finally caved into my boys: we got two pet birds.

They are the cutest baby parakeets. Joseph's is named Bumble Bee and Brendan's is named Sweet Bird. The birds are getting adjusted to their new home and it was the most delightful sound this morning (albeit it was at 5am) to hear them greet us with their melodic chirping.

I hope these two creatures will teach the boys to care for something other than themselves and that they'll learn some responsibility. It was wonderful this morning to show them how to change the birds' water and clean their cages. They eagerly wanted to help care for their new pets.

Ultimately, I think this is a new tier of responsibility for me as a parent: to give the boys the chance to be responsible themselves. My promise to them is not to let their enthusiasm fade away.

No comments: