Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Best Tomato Sauce on the Planet

One of my friends (who shall remain nameless as I recently brought her my famous spaghetti sauce and turkey meatballs after getting dumped) requested that I give her the recipe for the sauce that goes with it. I learned to make this sauce from an Italian friend, Nicoletta, who lives in Rome.

2 jars Passata (Italian strained tomatoes - available in Italian specialty stores)
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1/2 sweet onion
1 inch segment of a hot pepper
1/2 glass wine (red or white)
1/4 cup olive oil
salt
pepper
2 tablespoons butter (I use French butter - it's much better)

In a large pot, warm the olive oil and add the chopped carrot, celery, onion and hot pepper. Saute for five minutes. Add the wine. Cook until it's evaporated. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add Passata and 1 cup of water (this is important - the sauce simmers for 2-3 hours and will become too thick due to evaporation if you don't add the water).

Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hours (the longer, the better). When it's done, blend the sauce in a blender or use an immersion blender directly in the pot and blend. Add the butter.

If you're making my turkey meatballs (see previous post), you can add them now and warm them up in this wonderful sauce.

Seriously, this is such lovely sauce. There's no pungent garlic or spices. I get so many requests for it and you will, too!

No comments: