Saturday, July 12, 2008

Groovy Guacamole

My friend, Christine, just called me in an uproar.

"Where's your recipie for Groovy Guacamole?"

You see, I usually serve GG with my Hot Mama Tex-Mex Dip.  Sometimes I add it in and other times I serve it seperately.  Avocados have a lot of 'good fat' in them so I don't feel too guilty when I eat it.  When I'm really on a health kick, I don't serve GG with chips but rather homeade whole wheat pita crisps.  That recipe follows GG below.

Yesterday on Jillian's blog, she reminds us of a very important fact: 75% of weight loss has to do with nutrition. You are what you eat, sister.

Groovy Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
1/2 small purple onion, minced
1/4 - 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, minced (depends on how hot you like it, baby)Chopped cilantro to taste (everyone has a different opinion on this)
1 plum tomato, seeded and minced
Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime, depending on size
Salt to taste

In a glass bowl, mash the avocados and then add the rest of the ingredients.  Mix all together (you can even use a potato masher). I like to refigerate my GG for at least an hour.

Homeade Whole Wheat Pita Chips

Whole wheat pitas (Ladies, LOOK at the ingredients on the package!  I was recently dismayed to see a popular brand loaded with high fructose corn syrup)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Split pita into quarters.  Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 350 degrees until cripsy, about 10 minutes.  (If you are making a lot of these, you will have to bake them longer).

No comments: