Thursday, July 17, 2008

Shallot Vinaigrette

Tonight I didn't know what to cook. The boys had breakfast for dinner (one night a week they get pancakes and eggs) and I had some left over salmon, an avocado, tomatoes and mixed greens. I threw it all together and tossed it with my famous shallot vinagrette. I ALWAYS keep vinagrette staples on hand; all of the ingredients listed below are in my house (and should be in yours!) at all times:

Shallot Vinagrette

1 minced shallot
1 dab good Dijon mustard (the kind from France)
salt
pepper
1 part good white wine vinegar to 3 parts good olive oil

In a bowl, add the minced shallot, Dijon, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar and give it a good whisk (I always think of the song Twist and Shout and shake my booty when I'm whisking). Gradually add the olive oil and keep whisking.

Tip: I usually make the dressing 20-30 minutes ahead of time. To my mind, it enhances the flavor. Just be sure to re-whisk before serving.

No comments: